I don’t know why, but lately, EVERYONE keeps asking me if I’m still single (Or as a perfect stranger recently put it “Are you married yet?”). Maybe it’s because I just turned 24, and 24 sounds so much older than 23. Maybe it’s because people are genuinely curious. I’m not sure.
What I do know is it shouldn’t bother me as much as it does. People probably just want to know… Like I said, genuinely curious. But why should it matter? It almost feels like people are asking because they don’t expect me to be single. Like I couldn’t possibly be happy as a single 24 year old.
And when my response is “No, I’m single”… It’s almost always followed up with “Oh, don’t worry… You’ll find someone” or “He’s right around the corner.” But, here’s the thing… I’m not worried, and I hope he stays around that corner for a little while longer. Maybe find a puzzle to work on or jog in place for a lil bit.
I’m HAPPY being single right now. In fact, I really like it. I like being I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T… and I have enough going on in my own little world to have to worry about someone else. For God’s sake you guys, I can’t even keep my plants alive.
I’m sure my married, engaged, relationship-ed friends are VERY happy. But there isn’t even a small part of me that is jealous of them. (except the fancy honeymoons to Hawaii… I want to go on a fancy vacation) Someday my time will come… And it doesn’t need to be tomorrow, or next week, or next month, or next year. It’ll happen when it happens.
So I rambled about being single… And I honestly really never had any intention of posting this (but I’ve been slacking on my blogging lately, and something had to go up sooner or later!) I just wanted to string along my thoughts and rant for a few minutes. AND THEN, thought catalog had to publish 31 Things That Are More Important Than Being In A Relationship Right Now. And of course, I identified with this WAY too much, so I thought I would make my own list of things that are more important… SO in addition to the aforementioned 31 things, here are 10 more.
- Not wearing makeup for entire weekends
- Having day-long marathons of Sex And The City, Harry Potter, Grey’s Anatomy from my chair that’s just big and comfy enough for one.
- Staying up until midnight on a weekday reading blog posts
- Getting unapologetically drunk on a Friday night and consequentially, being hungover all day Saturday.
- Finding a work-life balance… If such a thing even exists, and I’m convinced that it doesn’t.
- Not having to compromise on where I want to go for dinner.
- Learning what makes ME happy, and what makes ME sad.
- Being selfish about what I want
- Eating most of my meals in carry-out form.
- Writing blog posts about being single and happy about it.